The statement notes that the results constitute the first ever epidemiological analysis of the actual gaming behaviour evidenced by a large sample of 3 445 online poker players over the span of 2 years. The study was conducted by the Division on Addictions, Cambridge Health Alliance, a Harvard Medical School teaching affiliate.
The partnership between Bwin and the Division on Addictions was established in 2005 to provide a scientific basis for the assessment of conspicuous gaming behaviour and its consequences for responsible gaming. Two key findings beginning to emerge from the research initiative are:
1) The myth of online gaming as a powerful seductive force has been empirically refuted. Online gaming has no greater problem potential than offline gaming.
2) Responsible gaming measures are effective.
The current research, which statistically analyses in detail the behaviour of Internet poker players, is the world's largest longitudinal and the first ever epidemiological study of its kind, a Bwin spokesman claimed.
Howard Shaffer, PH.D., Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School, Director, Division on Addictions is quoted in the statement as saying: "In this research we provide additional evidence in support of our previous research showing that most subscribers who gamble on the Internet do so moderately. In fact, correlation analyses indicated that as Percent Lost increased, Duration, Total Gambling Sessions, and Total Amount Wagered all decreased, suggesting that individuals moderated their behaviour based on their wins and their losses - exhibiting "rational" betting behavior."
Dr. Shaffer gave some interesting advance titbits from the study:
* The average age of the sample was 27.9 years and almost 95 percent were male. The typical poker player was an active poker player for a median duration of six and a half months and participated in a median of one poker session every three days. The median Euros per session gambled was Euro 13 and the median cost of playing poker was Euro 1.80 per session.
* The gaming behaviours of the most involved poker players show that this group, representing 5 percent of all players, was active for a duration of 18.5 months and participated in ten sessions per week. This subgroup had a smaller percentage lost than the sample majority, suggesting that skill is a factor in poker play and that players are able to improve their performance compared with chance.
* When examining the most involved poker players who devoted more time and money to this activity than the norm, the study found that like the rest of the sample, they reduced Euros per session and reduced Total Wagered as Percent Loss increased.
"In our intention is to replace speculation with scientific evidence," said Manfred Bodner, co-CEO of Bwin. "This study takes us a big step closer towards understanding the behaviour of online poker players. Ultimately we are interested in developing algorithms capable of identifying behavioural patterns or identifying risk patterns associated with disordered gaming."
All News Categories
- General Gambling News (6875)
- Gambling Law & Society News (3451)
- Casino Games (3081)
- Casino Software (2923)
- Land Based Casino News (461)
- Promotions & Bonuses (304)
- Casino Banking (200)
- Casino Tournaments (111)
- General Poker News (53)
- General Sportsbook News (41)
- General Bingo News (38)
- LCB News (36)
- LCB Approved Casinos (21)
- Casino Warnings (18)
- Bingo Software (11)
- Bingo Games (9)
- Predatory Terms (6)
- Online Poker Tournaments (5)
Most Viewed ArticlesSee all
Live activity feed
"for depositing players only: https://www.slotsmillion.com/en/promotions/halloween-2016/ can u save the stick man answer: first virtual reality online casino i clicked on 'GIVE IT A try' and gave the answer to live chat i was the 1st personwith the correct answer!! i got rewarded 4 bonuses: 25 free spins 25 free spins 25 free spins 75% deposit bonus GLA :) "READ
"Hi Cohiba, Thank you for sharing your information, I appreciate it. Your post makes it seem that no one has been in contact with you. You have had relationships with our casino hosts and I am sorry you aren't happy now. Obviously, we want to do the best we can by you. You have invited others to NOT play with us and I think it's only fair to share what your account says. I see you have received a little over an 80% bonus match on your deposits in addition to a 28% in VIP gifts, that's 110% back. And as you stated, we have paid all of your big wins (congratulations!). You also have 50 Free Spins credited to your account each week with our Free Spins Friday Bonus. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can do to try to make you happy, as you are a valued member of the BetChain family, firstname.lastname@example.org or our livesupport is available anytime. Best, Brian"READ
"Hi Everyone! We have some good news! Fresh amazing games have recently become available at our casino: "FairyTale Legends: Red Riding Hood" by Netent, "Paranormal Activity" by Isoftbet and "Twerk" by Endorphina! Feel free to check them out and have some great time playing! ;) Besides, don't forget you can always drop me a line if you need assistance. Have a good day! Das ist Casin Team"READ
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played