The statement notes that the results constitute the first ever epidemiological analysis of the actual gaming behaviour evidenced by a large sample of 3 445 online poker players over the span of 2 years. The study was conducted by the Division on Addictions, Cambridge Health Alliance, a Harvard Medical School teaching affiliate.
The partnership between Bwin and the Division on Addictions was established in 2005 to provide a scientific basis for the assessment of conspicuous gaming behaviour and its consequences for responsible gaming. Two key findings beginning to emerge from the research initiative are:
1) The myth of online gaming as a powerful seductive force has been empirically refuted. Online gaming has no greater problem potential than offline gaming.
2) Responsible gaming measures are effective.
The current research, which statistically analyses in detail the behaviour of Internet poker players, is the world's largest longitudinal and the first ever epidemiological study of its kind, a Bwin spokesman claimed.
Howard Shaffer, PH.D., Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School, Director, Division on Addictions is quoted in the statement as saying: "In this research we provide additional evidence in support of our previous research showing that most subscribers who gamble on the Internet do so moderately. In fact, correlation analyses indicated that as Percent Lost increased, Duration, Total Gambling Sessions, and Total Amount Wagered all decreased, suggesting that individuals moderated their behaviour based on their wins and their losses - exhibiting "rational" betting behavior."
Dr. Shaffer gave some interesting advance titbits from the study:
* The average age of the sample was 27.9 years and almost 95 percent were male. The typical poker player was an active poker player for a median duration of six and a half months and participated in a median of one poker session every three days. The median Euros per session gambled was Euro 13 and the median cost of playing poker was Euro 1.80 per session.
* The gaming behaviours of the most involved poker players show that this group, representing 5 percent of all players, was active for a duration of 18.5 months and participated in ten sessions per week. This subgroup had a smaller percentage lost than the sample majority, suggesting that skill is a factor in poker play and that players are able to improve their performance compared with chance.
* When examining the most involved poker players who devoted more time and money to this activity than the norm, the study found that like the rest of the sample, they reduced Euros per session and reduced Total Wagered as Percent Loss increased.
"In our intention is to replace speculation with scientific evidence," said Manfred Bodner, co-CEO of Bwin. "This study takes us a big step closer towards understanding the behaviour of online poker players. Ultimately we are interested in developing algorithms capable of identifying behavioural patterns or identifying risk patterns associated with disordered gaming."
All News Categories
- General Gambling News (6875)
- Gambling Law & Society News (3451)
- Casino Games (3081)
- Casino Software (2923)
- Land Based Casino News (461)
- Promotions & Bonuses (304)
- Casino Banking (200)
- Casino Tournaments (111)
- General Poker News (53)
- General Sportsbook News (41)
- General Bingo News (38)
- LCB News (37)
- LCB Approved Casinos (21)
- Casino Warnings (18)
- Bingo Software (11)
- Bingo Games (9)
- Predatory Terms (6)
- Online Poker Tournaments (5)
Most Viewed ArticlesSee all
Live activity feed
"7BitCasino - Halloween Raffle The raffles will be held from October 26 till November 2For each 50€(or btc eqivalent) wagered in Paranormal activity and Hansel & Gretel a player will get 1 point. The first 5 players who manage to accumulate the most points will be rewarded. 1st Place - 1000€2nd Place - 750€3rd Place - 500€4th Place - 250€5th Place - 200€ For each 25€ (or btc eqivalent) wagered in Spooky Family and The Best Witch a player will get 1 point, The first 5 players who manage to accumulate the most points will be rewarded. 1st Place - 750€2nd Place - 500€3rd Place - 250€4th Place - 200€5th Place - 100€"READ
"Intertops Red Casino - Halloween Bonuses! * Expires on November 6th 2016.* All codes must be redeemed in consecutive order.* The min. deposit amount for code 1 is USD20.* The min. deposit amount for code 2 + code 3 is USD45 each.* The extra-spins can be redeemed only after redeeming the 3 deposit coupons.* Max. cashout for the Extra-Bonus is USD200.* General terms and conditions apply."READ
"SlotsMillion - Can you save the stick man?Duration: From Monday 24/10/2016 to Monday 31/10/2016 Hear ye, valiant wordsmith- your time has come! Rumour has it lives are at stake, and the stick man is being pursued by the threat of a certain and horrific death at the hands of a hanging! They say your players are the only ones who can save him - can you get them to help us solve the riddle and get the stick man back to safety? F _ _ S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ C _ S _ _ _They only have one guess per day, so they better choose wisely: great prizes await those who solve the puzzle… maybe a deposit bonus? Maybe free spins? The only way to find out is to crack the code! If you think you can do it, contact support via chat or email on the day you solve the riddle and claim your reward… just keep in mind the earlier you solve the puzzle, the greater the reward!"READ
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played