Unlike some of its neighbouring nations, Estonia has embraced online gambling in a regulatory framework that welcomes rather than excludes foreign operators, but there are strict conditions attached.
Operators licensed in other European Union member nations will find ready acceptance, provided that they increase their licensing costs by obtaining an Estonian license, too. Alternatively, foreign operators can form partnerships with Estonian licensed national gambling entities.
In framing the legislation, Estonian lawmakers were determined to have a meaningful regulatory system, and licensing requirements therefore include:
* Background and probity checks on the company and its senior management.
* The implementation of precautions against underage and/or problem gambling.
* Servers and other equipment within Estonian national boundaries to enable inspection as required.
* Acceptable financial systems compliant with international requirements to guard against fraud or money laundering.
Estonian officials have warned that unlicensed Internet gambling activity with Estonian nationals will be regarded as illegal, and have hinted that financial measures and ISP blocking will be deployed against illegal operators.
All News Categories
- General Gambling News (6903)
- Gambling Law & Society News (3459)
- Casino Games (3100)
- Casino Software (2939)
- Land Based Casino News (464)
- Promotions & Bonuses (329)
- Casino Banking (204)
- Casino Tournaments (111)
- LCB News (59)
- General Poker News (53)
- General Sportsbook News (42)
- General Bingo News (38)
- LCB Approved Casinos (22)
- Casino Warnings (21)
- Bingo Software (11)
- Bingo Games (9)
- Predatory Terms (8)
- Online Poker Tournaments (5)