Williams applauded the skill and commitment of Beryl Brown, Director of Policy and Communications, who left the Gambling Commission on 31 October 2008. "The Policy and Communications Directorate has achieved a great deal under Beryl's leadership, and together they have been fundamental in shaping the Commission and our policy framework. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Beryl for her contribution and to wish her well for the future."
Brown said that she had served for two and a half years in helping to set up the Commission: "With the regulatory framework now substantially in place and the Commission focusing more on the day to day regulation I have decided the time is right to move on to new challenges," she said.
Williams also announced the appointment of Matthew Hill as Director of Strategy, Research and Analysis, a new post bringing together the strategic and analytic parts of the Commission (corporate and programme management, policy and research, intelligence and IT) into one Directorate working closely with the Regulatory Directorate headed by Nick Tofiluk, currently Director of Operations.
Hill, who was formerly Deputy Director Programmes at the UK government's Department of Culture, Media and Sport, said "I enjoyed working on gambling issues enormously and I'm delighted to have the opportunity to do so again. I'm proud and excited that the Commission has recruited me at this very important time, as it moves out of its initial start up phase and concentrates on providing effective risk-based regulation." He joins the Commission on 10 November 2008.
Hill joined the civil service after reading biochemistry at Oxford. After a varied career dealing with GM food issues, foot and mouth disease, e-business customer service, and a stint as Private Secretary to the Leader of the Commons he joined DCMS and worked on the liquor licensing bill, the BBC charter review, implementation of the Gambling Act. He was interim CEO of the Drinkaware Trust and is currently Deputy Director, Programmes which includes responsibility for the Creative Economy Programme.
The Commission has revised its senior structure as follows:
* Jenny Williams, Chief Executive and Commissioner
* Tom Kavanagh, Deputy Chief Executive (part time)
* Bill Butler, Director of Corporate Services
* Julie Grant, Director of Finance
* Matthew Hill, Director of Strategy Research and Analysis
* Justine Kenny, Director of People and Organisational Development (previously Director of HR)
* Julia Mackisack, Director of Corporate Affairs (previously Director of Communications)
* Neil McArthur, Director of Legal
* Nick Tofiluk, Director of Regulation (previously Director of Operations)
Hazel Canter, currently Director of Licensing and Compliance retires at the end of 2008 and, at that time, her responsibilities will pass to Nick Tofiluk.
All News Categories
- General Gambling News (6875)
- Gambling Law & Society News (3451)
- Casino Games (3082)
- Casino Software (2924)
- Land Based Casino News (461)
- Promotions & Bonuses (304)
- Casino Banking (200)
- Casino Tournaments (111)
- General Poker News (53)
- General Sportsbook News (41)
- General Bingo News (38)
- LCB News (37)
- LCB Approved Casinos (21)
- Casino Warnings (19)
- Bingo Software (11)
- Bingo Games (9)
- Predatory Terms (6)
- Online Poker Tournaments (5)
Most Viewed ArticlesSee all
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played