VISA gift card experiment
Readers of this topic also read:
- Started by
- at July 09, 2010, 19:41:19
- last active 5 months ago
So, today I was thinking about either the bars and or online casinos.
I had to go to the bank and get some cash for the electric bill. I asked if they had
"Yes" was the reply.
"Are they worldwide?"
"Can they be used to gamble with?"
She looked aorund then leaned over and said "I've never had any problems"
So, I got one and loaded it with $100 ($3.50 service fee)
So far, a RTG, Vegas Tech and a rival have taken it. So, if you want to try, check on that. Just saved me about $2.00 in gas to try it.
Oh, BTW You had better KEEP them when you win, they (The casino) will possibly want a scan of them too, they are NOT reloadable!
- Reading the instructions was a chuckle. The rules DO state "No internet gambling" is permitted with the card. But no worries, it's all been depleted.
The one thing I have noticed though, when I use my WM card I am later "Dinged" about $2-$4 for "Foreign transaction fee" in this case, once the card is wiped out, it's dead and so there's no extra "Fees" I need to pay for.
Hmmmm...Maybe time to drop WM card and deal with the bank exclusively!!!
- yobaboy wrote:
general dollar store chain visa worked !00% of the time for me though
What was the fee?? That's also a thought.
EDIT: I jsut closed my WM card. There's a whole $077 cents left on it. 10 days till check arrives...
Checking past transactions, I wasn't too far off. The "Extra" transactions fees were about $2.55 each time I deposited to 2 or so casinos. No more of that!
- I have used several Vanilla gift cards recently and have no problems at all. You just have to make sure they are activated at the store. I don't know if my being Canadian makes a difference. I would think Vanilla cards are all made and distributed by the same company. They are just loaded with the currency of the country you bought it in. I was told it could take up to 24 hours for the card to activate, though. The store is supposed to give you an activation confirmation receipt.
- When you purchase a Vanilla Visa or Mastercard, always make sure that the activation slip is returned to you with your newly activated card.
When the cashier offers the receipt, take it. If the cashier didn't activate the card, the receipt shows the purchase and the transaction number.
Then call the 800 number on the back of the card and speak with an agent, describing your situation.
The agent then will take the receipt & transaction number and begin a trace. The agent will then ask for a faxed or scanned email copy of the receipt, both sides of the card and activation slip (if any). Vanilla will take about five business days to activate the card.
- Once you have a successfully activated Vanilla Visa or Mastercard, go the website to register the card in your name. It's either vanillavias.com or vanillamastercard.com. Not too sure about the addresses. But once the card is registered in your name, it will be recognized on line as belonging to you.
On a final note, when you purchase the card, the cashier will tell you the card will not be active for 24 hours. However, if you register the card right away, the wait time is cut down. Usually, the card will take about 30 to 45 minutes to activate after registering.
- One other thing about registering your card:
If the website says "system error - try again later" that means only one thing. The card has not been activated by the cashier.
Most places require the cashier to physically swipe the card and activate on an independent terminal.
Some vendors, such as Walmart, swipe the card during the normal sales transaction, at the register. The card is then automatically registered when the sale is processed as paid in full.
In the case of the website displaying the "system error" message, then you must contact Vanilla via the 800 number on the back of the card.
Remember to keep your transaction receipt so that Vanilla can trace & confirm the purchase or activation attempt.
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played