Cellphones...are they safe?
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active 3 months ago
Readers of this topic also read:
Posting to the forums is only allowed for members with active accounts
- I have heard so much about having cell phones can cause some serious health problems.
I remember how excited I was when I got my first cell phone in 1992.
Many have also said cell phones are safe but phones that put out the same wattage, back then, were phones you carried in a briefcase or shoulder bag, sales people said two watts would scramble your brain if you held it up to your head.
In May, after a thorough review of the existing research, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organization (WHO), classified cell phones as possibly carcinogenic to humans and acknowledged that the radiation emitted from cell phones may increase an individual’s risk of brain cancer.
Prior to this announcement, the WHO had maintained the position that no adverse health problems had been confirmed.
In one of the largest international studies undertaken, scientists found the rate of brain glioma (a type of tumor) doubled in individuals who used a cell phone for 10 years or more.
Now another potential health problem associated with cell phones is gaining attention. Researchers in Austria compared cell phone users to non-users and have found cell phone use capable of damaging sperm production and may be a contributing factor in male infertility.
After I read this article, I couldn't help checking my cell phone's radiation
- I had one one time that heated up so fast when using it that I couldn't even hold it in my hand. Very short calls made on that phone. When I complained, they gave me a big bulky "car" phone to use instead.
In general I don't like cell phones. They are too small, I can't seem to get the ear piece in the right place near my head to hear, and so I get frustrated using them. I did love my iphone, but mostly for the other uses it had besides being a cell phone. I only have a cell phone now because it was free and I get 250 free minutes a month and I don't have a home phone.
- I believe that the world will end up like in Johnny Mnemonic we are using every available frequency for every purpose.
Most of these are traveling through our bodies every minute of every day.
We are poisoning ourselves which will end only when people start dying in large groups or we realize we don't really need City-wide Wifi or 4g Wireless service; our society lived for centuries without it, we can live without it again.
I wonder if I am too old fashioned person.
- I don't think you are old-fashioned Nan, I think you are concerned for everyones well being. Nothing wrong in that.
I don't think cell phones are good for anyone - the fact that the phone heats up when you are talking speaks volumes. It is a worry and I tend to text where I can rather than use it to talk on.
- You're not old fashioned nan. Cell phones have been deemed a risky device for quite some time. Yet another enjoyable convenience that's no good for us.
- Okay, now I read that you shouldn't have your internet router in your bedroom due to microwaves. And keeping your cellphone in your pants pockets can affect your fertility (it mentioned guys, but maybe it affects women as well?). And you shouldn't keep it in your shirt pocket either.
I am sure sitting here with the wireless laptop on my belly while reclined in bed, and especially since my pacemaker is not so far away) might not be the best idea either.
Apparently even when not in use, all these devices are still sending/receiving microwave transmissions from "the network".
- I dont have a problem keeping my cell phone in my pockets because my parents had me nuetered at 5 months old. When I was old enough to realize I was different than other boys my parents explained I had a problem with humping legs so they did what they did to break me of the habit.
- so you've got room in your pockets for a cell phone? heheh where do you put your pocketwatch?
(omg sorry I am leading us off topic once more)
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played