Do schools have the right to search students lockers?
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
~ Loyalty means nothing unless it has at its heart the absolute principle of self-sacrifice. ~
- Started by
- last active 3 days ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- SlotoCash and Uptown Aces Exclusive Holiday Freeroll Tournament this December only for...READ
- Hi Gang:
I know alot of you have children, and so I was interested in what you thought about this debate. I know when I went to school, the school did random searches of any locker thought to have anything illegal or harmful to other students. It wasn't a debate back then, it's just how it was.
It is different today.
On one hand:
Lockers are school property; students are merely allowed to use them as they do with sports equipment, library books, school computers, etc. Lockers can be taken back without notice, for example if they are vandalised or become smelly with rotting food. Students are or should be told that schools have the right to search their lockers - it is a part of being in a school community where you have to accept its rules and responsibilities.
On the other hand:
A sense of alienation and isolation in the school environment has been at the forefront of the rise of psychological problems amongst students – resulting in tragedies like Columbine. Denying students the security of a secure anchor in this environment, a known reference point without risk of removal or meddling, means they are more likely to be adrift and insecure.
Anythoughts on this ??
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Many schools where I live (Vancouver, WA) no longer HAVE lockers and so you have kids now with aches which will grow worse as they advance in age. Kids carrying 30-50 lbs of books and such, from every class to class all day.
- Replied by
- at November 04, 2009, 17:30:23
- last active about 1 month ago
I don't know about other schools, but I think this is still the "norm" as the school property is always been school property. Though maybe they'd have to get a search warrant as the police are sperate from the school.
- Replied by
- at November 05, 2009, 01:22:21
- 13oclock wrote:
i'm afraid i dont see the logic in that....im not hiding drugs but im certainly opposed to random searches of my body by the police
umm...did i miss something? how did it go from searching the lockers to searching your body???
but...if your a hot female police officer and want to search my body...by all means do so you'll have no objections here.
- One word "YES". I like the answer to this from Shelli, yes if a student wants privacy, carry or pull a backpack. I come from the hills of the hills, and some of our local schools even have metal detectors and the greeting hall monitor is an actual police person! Yep school is one of there actual beats! I can't believe that is has come down to this, even in the hills of the adirondacks! And i like the answer, they only ones that would object are the ones that is trying to hide something, remember that "something" can and has harmed others. Check all lockers, and to hell with feeling like your violating my privacy, usually the good kids you know the ones that are not a menace to society will be the first to open their lockers and show you they have nothing to hide (or hurt).
- drpsyce38 wrote:
Soda....I can hear the SNAP of the rubber glove as she prepares for the cavity search......
what?? good point...must re-evaluate...hmmm...bumbum or safety....bumbum or safety.....ok after giving it some serious thought i have made my decision...for the sake of my bumbum and all the other bumbums out there...i now stand against random searches...although this may jeopardize the safety of our students..at least it maintains the safety of the ever so sensitve bumbum. hahaha ya right....like my bum, and not including the other bum, would even fit into a locker - search those lockers keep the kids safe and leave the bumbums out of it.....errr....stay out of it....the bumbums......stay out of the bumbums!!!!
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played