Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active 2 hrs ago
Readers of this topic also read:
Posting to the forums is only allowed for members with active accounts
- Fire at Conn. home kills ad exec's 3 kids, parents
Madonna Badger and a male acquaintance were able to escape from the house as it was engulfed by flames on Christmas morning, Stamford police Sgt. Paul Guzda said. But Badger's three daughters — a 10-year-old and 7-year-old twins — died in the fire, Guzda said.
He said Badger's parents, who were visiting for the holiday, also died in the blaze.
Neighbors said they awoke to the sound of screaming shortly before 5 a.m. and rushed outside to help, but they could only watch in horror as flames devoured the grand home and the shocked, injured survivors were led away from the house.
Badger, an ad executive in the fashion industry, is the founder of New York City-based Badger & Winters Group. A supervisor at Stamford Hospital said she was treated and discharged by Sunday evening.
Property records show she bought the five-bedroom, waterfront home for $1.7 million last year. The house is situated in Shippan Point, a wealthy neighborhood that juts into Long Island Sound.
The male acquaintance who also escaped the blaze was a contractor who was doing work on the home, Guzda said. He was also hospitalized but his condition was not released.
"It is a terrible, terrible day," Mayor Michael Pavia told reporters at the scene of the fire. "There probably has not been a worse Christmas day in the city of Stamford."
Police officers drove Badger's husband, Matthew Badger, from New York City to Stamford on Sunday morning. Badger's parents lived in Southbury, Conn., Guzda said.
Firefighters knew there were other people in the home but could not get to them because the flames were too large and the heat too intense, said Acting Fire Chief Antonio Conte, his voice cracking with emotion.
"It's never easy. That's for sure," he said. "I've been on this job 38 years ... not an easy day."
Conte said fire officials don't yet know the cause of the blaze and likely would not get clues for a few days until fire marshals can enter the structure and examine it.
By Sunday evening, the roof of the blackened house had largely collapsed.
A neighbor, Sam Cingari Jr., said he was awakened by the sound of screaming and saw that the house was engulfed by flames.
"We heard this screaming at 5 in the morning," he said. "The whole house was ablaze and I mean ablaze."
Cingari said he did not know his neighbors, who he said bought the house last year and were renovating it.
Charles Mangano, who lives nearby, said his wife woke him up and alerted him to the fire. He ran outside to see if he could help and saw a number of fire trucks in front of the house.
"I heard someone yell 'Help, help, help me!' and I started sprinting up my driveway," Mangano told The Advocate of Stamford.
He told the newspaper he saw a barefoot man wearing boxers and a woman being taken out of the house. The outdoor temperature at the time was below freezing, according to the National Weather Service.
The woman said, "My whole life is in there," Mangano said. "They were both obviously in a state of shock."
Stamford, a city of 117,000 residents, is about 25 miles northeast of New York City.
Badger was the creative mind behind major advertising campaigns for leading fashion brands, including the iconic Marky Mark underwear ads for Calvin Klein.
Raised in Kentucky, Badger began her career working as a graphic designer in the art department of Esquire magazine. Before starting her own company, she worked as an art director for several magazines and CRK, the in-house advertising agency for designer Calvin Klein.
Badger & Winters has worked with Proctor & Gamble, CoverGirl, A/X Armani Exchange, Emanuel Ungaro and Vera Wang, among other high-profile corporations. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday.
source: Associated Press
Foul play, what's your impressions?
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
It's a tough call Lips. I have met people who would happily walk through fire to try and save their children. Others who'd happily leave them also. In moments of sheer terror, you usually cannot predict the actions of humans as some may like to believe they'd give it all up for their kids.
- Replied by
- at December 26, 2011, 11:40:53
- last active 2 hrs ago
- I agree, our first reaction would be to run into it to save what we can, fire can be way too intense so our own bodies reflex won't let us, i can't think of the word, i'll use our 'individual extent of common sense" takes over that is what holds us back, our instinctive value, it's the point of realizing theres nothing you can do. I'm not reading anything that would call foul play, other then the "screams" and the only survivors being the adults... but still theres no cause of fire yet said. Who knows if the home was smoldering for many hours before the blaze engulfed it so quickly.
- It sure seems odd when you see it on paper. The fact that the adults made it out safely makes you wonder. I can't imagine making my way out without making sure my family was with me. Just have to wait and see what they discover. Hopefully it's just a tragic accident because I'd hate to think someone could do that purposely.
- I would have to wait till the fire marshals can examine the scene... it is suspicious that the entire house was engulfed that quickly... makes me wonder about an accelerant. But then I think if it was needing extensive renovation which was going on for a year it may have been a very old house without today's fire safety features and old very dry d...
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played