Help on quitting smoking > Serious topic
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active about 1 month ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- I want to try and quit smoking, I have the right mindset I Do want to quit but I get bad withdrawals and the nicorette gum and patches make me sick. My Dr has said they have "medications" you can take to help with the nicotine withdrawal. Has anyone used any of these and did they help? It seems kind of silly to me to start taking DRUGS to get off a DRUG but if they work and have no bad side effects I'm in. I would love to hear any advice you can offer
I've heard mixed reviews on the subject of that drug to quit smoking. One person I knew didn't like the way it made her feel. From what I understood about it, it has a similar affect to an antidepressant. Another said they felt great. I forget the name of it but maybe there are others out on the market since then.
- Replied by
- Feelin froggy
- at December 30, 2011, 14:34:15
- last active 15 hrs ago
The doctor recently asked me if I smoke. I say yes and he asks if I want to quit. I told him no. He looked at me funny and I said well I don't want to lie to you doc.
Perhaps the affects of a "quit smoking drug" are better than the smoke in your lungs. I congratulate you for being ready to quit. I'll get there one day but darn it, I still enjoy it. I wish you luck and you must do whats best for you.
Hey there leavefall.
- Replied by
- at December 30, 2011, 15:44:45
You might want to check out this old topic from another member that gave up smoking. CLICK HERE. The drug is Chantix. Interesting reading which may help.
- Jr. Member
I've just started taking Chantix again yesterday. I quit last year for a few weeks- and the chantix was a huge help with the cravings. it makes me very nauseous tho- which is why i stopped taking it last year after I'd been a week without a cigarette.. but you're supposed to continue taking it for a couple months. I started back up again within a few weeks- but i'm ready to give it another try! Also, don't get discouraged if you slip up here and there.. don't just resign to feeling you can't do it- you can. And it seems scary at first, even the thought of having to quit, right? but when you do- you'll realize it was easier than you thought. good luck!! we're rootin' for ya!
- Replied by
- at December 30, 2011, 17:46:26
- last active 4 months ago
"Think for Yourself - Question Authority" - Timothy Leary
there are 2 basic things i dont like about anti smoking medicaments, first is they are most certainly not healthy and second is that you can simply avoid them and light a smoke any time you decide so (so that basicaly means it returns you to the simple question about will to quit smoking )
- Replied by
- at December 30, 2011, 18:17:26
So, folowing the examples of many ppl who quited smoking (including my father and grandfather who are not smoking for 20+ years now) i can tell the best way to quit is to simply quit and dont think about it at all.
Thus the best advice i can give you is to encourage you to do what you already decided to do, believe me you can do it with ease, just replace the nasty habbit with positive habbit (any time you feel like smoking go eat an apple or some thing like that )
- Thanks for the replies guys it is good to have some support. I do not plan to quit for another 2 weeks or so but I want to be prepared and ready and get rid of this nasty 12 year money eating habit for good. I checked out the 2 main meds. Chantix and Bupropion (Zyban). It seemed like a good idea until I read about side effects. I have health issues that these would mess with and like drtheolen said I do have will power
- Hero Member
i am an ex smoker who was up to 4 packs a day when i was stationed overseas. once i finally decided to quit....and if you dont want to quit then all the programs and medicines wont work or help as this is the biggest factor for failure.....i got one of those electronic cigarettes that has a cartridge.....whenever you need a fix of nicotine....you can smoke that thing as much as you want.....you will definately get more nicotime than you need and it tastes sooooo bad that you will be surprised how quickly it works. i havent smoked for a couple years and i still have that electric cigarette if the urge comes. i have had the urge....but when i think of how crappy the thing tastes....i just dont do it.. good luck and get your mind set. if your mind wants to do it then you will succeed.
- Replied by
- at December 30, 2011, 23:39:46
- last active 4 months ago
- I did take such pills (Zyban) a couple of years ago, didn't smoke for around two months. Then, when I stopped taking the pills I had severe withdrawal symptoms and what appeared to be the beginning of a nasty depression. I started smoking again and things got back to normal. Bottom line: I wouldn't recommend those pills.
- I'd like to add some advice about those electronic cigarettes. Be very careful if you buy them off the internet. I know someone who bought one from a website, got 5 spare screw on things for when the "nicotine" flavour wears out. Every month thereafter, through the post, 5 spare screw on thingys at £19.99 per month. Tried to stop it by writing to them, emailing them, phoning them. That didn't work. Spoke to the bank about it and they couldn't stop the payment either as it was a payment processed "without the card" and they had just kept the details.
The only way to stop the charges was to get a new debit card from the bank and cancel the existing one, which meant being without a card for 7-10 days. It did stop them taking the £19.99 a month and of course, they stopped sending the spare screw on thingys.
Please be careful if you buy one of those electronic ciggys off the internet and read their T & C very carefully.
- I have just read this in the danish newspaper.
It is not only in Denmark that smoking cessation pill Chantix suspected of being behind several serious side effects.
Approximately 2400 Americans so far have brought proceedings against the manufacturer, Pfizer, Champix because they suspect to be causing serious adverse reactions in themselves or their relatives.
Double Play: Recommend dangerous pill - works for the company behind
Fatal suspect: Smoking cessation pill Chantix has killed three Danes
Death and suicide
Suicide, death and heart problems are among the major causes of the U.S. litigation.
It tells David L. Eisbrouch, a partner in the American law firm Balkin & Eisbrouch that handles many of the institution of the proceedings, the Extra Bladet.
- The lawsuits against Chantix is very serious, because the possible side effects are so fatal as death and suicide, he says.
Hard accusations against smoking cessation agent
Doctors demand unbiased information
Should be taken of the market
The lawsuits against Pfizer and Chantix is expected to begin in autumn 2012, and David L. Eisbrouch is no doubt what the consequences will be for Champix if you find that the pill is the direct cause of adverse events.
- We want all drugs that can lead to serious and fatal side effects taken off the market, says the U.S. attorney.
He would not speculate on the economic impact of the many cases may have on Pfizer. But the world's largest pharmaceutical company is no stranger to the payment of larger sums.
In 2009, Pfizer had to pay $ 2.3 billion, equivalent to 13 billion dollars in fines for illegal promotion of the painkiller drug Bextra and three other products.
- yes indeed it is.......but I would rather die from cigarets than a tablet before my time is due. I dont believe in all those things to stop you from smoking.....the gum is expensive...and then you cant quit the gum because you get addicted to that as well....etc. Most healty is just stop smoking without anything. I love smoking and are not ready to give it up yet....maybe some day....... our Queen in Denmark ( Margrethe) smokes a lot, and she is 70 years old....when she quits..... I quit......if Im still alive at that time
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played
Most viewed forum posts
- Hi LCB'ers,Here is a list of freebies that are not on the weekly code list. This list includes casinos to check your acct, call/email for free chip and casinos not listed here at our forum. I will update this list on...
- Hello dear LCBers,LimoPlay Casino has something special in stored for you!!Each week Vitali, the lovely casino representative from LimoPlay will be posting a new contest. Please subscribe to this thread by clicking on...