Ever have an idea for a law and wonder why it isn't already in the books?
If you could be a member of Congress, what is one law you would like to introduce? Why? Can you tell us some of the pros and cons of this law and who would it impact the most?
This can be anything, from abolishing something bad to creating something new and exciting.
If you could be a member of Congress....
Readers of this topic also read:
- Looking for a casino rep and the correct thread to post your complaint or ask a question? No...READ
- Obama INDEED inherited a mess...a big one However, being "worse than Bush" is not admirable. Bush had a $400 billion federal deficit, Obama has 1.4 trillion. This had radically devalued the dollar and will cause increased inflation. Remember the $4 a gallon gas? It's coming back....soon.
I believe the stimulus and bailouts have mostly been a large waste. No one, not even Obama, is saying it has done what was hoped. Yes, it created some jobs, but the math states each job cost $160,000 to create. Hmmm...spend $160,000 and create a $35,000 a year job??? Might as well just mail out checks.
Taxes will go up. Not just on the rich, but everyone. There is no way to pay for Obama's wild borrowing and spending without huge new revenue and there are not enough rich people to tax.
Health care. You will be forced to buy it. The 33 million who cannot afford it will become a further drain on the economy.
No quick fixes....and it IS easy to spout off on a website!
But.....Economic Darwinism must apply. Let badly run, greedy companies FAIL. Pain in the short term, yes, but way better in the long run. Also, cut taxes to put more money in the economy and create investment. We don't like to admit it, but poor people don't do any hiring. Most people get employed by rich people.
Yes....I am pro "supply side" in economic philosophy.
- Well I have to say that we are already working for the government they tax us anyway that they can think of. What is left looks like it is worse then the Communist country. They say we have freedom. In most street corners we have cameras that give us a ticket for passing a red light. They take away our internet gambling Rights.
And now alot of people are losing their jobs lets not talk about the people that have lost their homes and the ones that are going to lose their homes. Then our government Gives money to people that don't belong here in the states. So what would I do STOP GIVING MONEY TO PEOPLE THAT DONT BELONG HERE. AND HELP THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CITIZANS. THE PEOPLE WHO MAKES AMERICA WHAT WE WERE ONCE. STOP ALL THE GOVERNMENT SPENDING. STOP ALL THE STUPID TAXES.
THE GOVERNMENT IS KILLING THE PEOPLE.
- Replied by
- at November 04, 2009, 04:06:16
- last active 4 days ago
Well, to be brutally honest, it can take 10-20 YEARS for one person to attain a position in the government which makes people sit up and take notice.
- Replied by
- at November 04, 2009, 04:29:37
- last active 5 months ago
That's really why that in greater numbers, things are done.
I recall the joke about all the senators, reps and congressmen stood up to big oil. but who cares about 5 people?
Sadly, they're protecting their turf first, then "Maybe" help others who "Cannot" vote for them, so you see just how hard it is to make it work.
Term limits is a possible idea, but that's really all it'll be because those in Congress love their perks and power. You'd have an easier time convincing people to work in chariity then to convince people in Govt to agree to term limits and make the government work correctly.
Finally, I'd stop this silly war and let those in those countries have at each other. Remember, Afganistan has been fighting for 30+ years. They're in it for the long haul, the USA isn't and will never be.
Just like Vietnam. There's no way to win this. Let's leave them like Somailia and let them rip each other apart.
- Replied by
- at November 04, 2009, 06:57:22
- last active 5 months ago
- Does this question come with a magic-wand , or a genie in a bottle? One answer for sure, comes with many obsticles. One of my answers would be is to allow "all" to a free education, I do not mean high school diplomas, I mean college degrees. Some would love the chance to better themselves and having educations free of charge I believe, is a first start. I know that I could never change this, there would be so many sacrafices to be made etc. Maybe letting everyone know out there that they can go to college and yes not one person will or cannot be turned down for a student loan....NO ONE, yes this comes with a price, you will have to pay your school loan back but you will be educated and trained with a degree of your choosing, wow, maybe if I just taught someone something new, I have just made a change. Maybe tomarrow someone will be making a phone call to a local community college (hey, it's a start) the person on the other end had to start somewhere and will know how to direct your call. I might add, you could actually get paid to go to school, there are many benefits to attending college "YOU" just need to ask all the questions you can, and in the end, the best of all, the feeling of accomplishment when that degree (whatever it may be) is handed to you, a job will be soon waiting, along with your school loan....lol. Like I said, does this answer come with a majic-wand? Everything in life always comes with a price........good and bad.
- Hi Lyn,
You hit the nail on the head!!! EDUCATION!!!! I am amazed how a country as powerful as ours ranks one of the lowest in education. Not only for the tuition fees that are outrageous....but for the lack of education at the grade school level.
We are so low on the totem pole in education its pathetic. Many countries do not even go as many years to school as we do, and they are leaps and bounds ahead of us in knowledge.
Correct me if i am wrong......wasn't the state lottery implemented with proceeds going to our public schools? Yet school can hardly stay afloat and it falls back on the tax payers. Our government makes dollar per dollar spent on lotteries. If the lottery is worth 10 million......that means we the people spent 20 million in tickets. The government gets the other 10 million. On top of that we are taxed on what we win.
I think part of the problem is everything is about the almighty buck. We live in culture that is a very material mentality....and look where it got us. I read a statistic on the average American family. We are just 2 weeks paychecks away from bankruptcy....and this was BEFORE the recession.
Putting everything on plastic if half the problem. But its a no win situation. Without credit cards....we build no credit. Without no credit......we can't purchase a house, buy a car or anything of value.
- well people if you should sit up and take notice who votes there own pay raises they do .do they contribute to SS nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo but they get it do the pay for there own health insurance nnoooooooooo but they get the BEST and who else retires with over a hundred plus thousand a yr TAX FREE they do good thing kennedy`s dead and no surviving spouse he listing to the people that killed his the only thing wrong is that he survived Chappaquiddick (Sp) not Mary Jo that was a sign for him .but i digress let them serve one term and that's it if you think i`m against BIG GOV> yes ever since i got sent overseas in 1970 and i came home with a bad knee and VA said tough sh*t but thanks for your service well you get my drift PEOPLE we must protect ourselves
You really make some valid points, well honestly this whole thread has been valid points.
I have always prided myself on being an American and living here. I have always thought that its the best place in the entire world. I suppose any native from their homeland feels the same way.
It's hard to admit and digest that our own government is who got us all in this mess. It's not just one issue of the government but so many issues. Issues ranging from health care, the economic crisis, education, Social Security and the list goes on and on.
I hope we can pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and start anew.........
- i do too as i come frome Germany my mother still lives therebut i come over to america and fight in a war that is not popular and they push veterns aside not now they dont but before we have state health care over there its is good but know how to use it my mother broke her hip in july she is on it but she has too much money to use it all (shame ) but thats is the way it is also i just found my mother in germany after 57 yrs of not seeing her e-mail me and i will -e-mail you my story of how it happened i was adopted after ww2
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played