In a job interview....

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Headline back 2
    5,023
    views
    30
    replies
    Last post ago over 6 years by Imagin.ation
    Avatar 31153

    ishin

      Super Hero
    • male
    • offline
    an apathetic America is a pathetic America
    • 246
      thanks given
    • 207
      thanks received
    • Started by
      Super Hero
      1,238
    • last active 4 months ago

    Readers of this topic also read:

    Please or register to post or comment.
      • Avatar 31153

        ishin

          Super Hero
        • male
        • offline
        an apathetic America is a pathetic America
        • 246
          thanks given
        • 207
          thanks received
        • Started by
          Super Hero
          1,238
        • last active 4 months ago
        In a job interview, would you disclose the fact that you've been unemployed for the past year due to your depression and anxiety disorder?  Do you think disclosing this info to your potential employer would work against your getting the job?  Anyone here been in similar situation?  Please chime in and let me know your thoughts on this and how you handled it.

        Same question, but this time, instead of depression, say its cancer.  Would you be open about your cancer in a job interview?
      • Img 20160318 141312

        Feelin froggy

          admin
        • female
        • offline
        • 2900
          thanks given
        • 4695
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          admin
          5,636
        • last active 1 hour ago

        Thanks for this post from:

        • Avatar 31153
        • Avatar 31779
        At work I interview people often. I personally would not exclude a candidate for a job based on the issues you've mentioned. Although the majority of excuses for being unemployed are economy related and most would not be as honest to admit mental or emotional health issues. As long as you possess the qualifications to do what I need, I couldn't care less about your personal life.

        Here's an interesting piece of information related to resumes and interviewing. If I reject a candidate based on the content of their resume without meeting with them or having them phone screened, I must explain and provide valid reasons for passing on them. I cannot simply just say i'll pass. This is all government regulated. Point being I better have a damn good reason for rejecting your application that's based on skills and not emotions or my opinions of you personally.

        Since many may not share my open mind, I would skip the disclosure and blame it on the economy!
      • No avatar normal

        Imagin.ation

          Mighty! Member
        • female
        • offline
        Use Your Imagination
        Crazical Imaginical
        • 1789
          thanks given
        • 1199
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          Mighty! Member
          4,841
        • last active about 1 month ago

        Thanks for this post from:

        • Avatar 31153
        Okay this is how my daughter got a job...

        She got a call for a job she applied to and wanted that job really badly..
        He called, and asked her.. Can you be here in 20 minutes and we can conduct
        an interview, your application looks very promising..
        Okay she was running around all excited, MOM i got an INTERVIEW.. get dressed mom
        lets go, her having to get dressed also in a hurry.. She found a pair of pants, worn the night before still clean, she slipped them on, out on a nice top, in the car put a little make-up on, she looked really nice..

        On the way she said Mom.. theres some kind of lump or something in the leg
        of my pants she couldn't figure out what it was, thinking it was just the pants
        someway twisted, anyways being so excited she didn't worry about it...

        We arrived i parked, and she went inside, sat a moment and within a few minutes
        the gentleman came out, she stood up.. walked over to the man to shake his hand
        and as she did.. her thong flew out the bottom of her pants leg..on the floor right
        in front of him.. imagine his face.. thinking ..umm.. do i have that effect on woman..
        umm.. her face in so much embarressment.. trying to explain.. how the heck it got there..the interview, neither could keep a straight face, speechless, and her so timidly
        in such embarressment, this just doesn't happen everyday
        both trying to hold in laughter.. she embarressingly asked.. could we do this another time.. he told her no.. no need you are hired...you simply made my day..

        Her walking to the car with her thong in her hand.. smiling, explained what happen
        i couldn't even drive!

        this is the original post thread btw, its very funny alot of things said in this thread...

        http://www.latestcasinobonuses.com/onlinecasinobonusforum/general-discussion/most-embarressing-moment/

        Ishin, i do beleive jobs will base you on your history, you have a good history, i beleive your chances are better. This is my own personal opinion, here now jobs even will base you on your TRW, your credit rating also your background history of say anything criminal. But medical .. could be a different story.. woman are sometimes off for years to raise a family.. i had an employer i was close with tell me he hired a woman JUST because she was in an abusive relation, trying to get out and away, needing a job had not worked for 15 years.
        I think most employers do hire on your experience in some way and your attitude and actions in the interview regardless of what your past reflects, on the negative side..they could tend to beleive in the extreme that if they hire someone with a depression could end in a postal scene.
      • Avatar 31153

        ishin

          Super Hero
        • male
        • offline
        an apathetic America is a pathetic America
        • 246
          thanks given
        • 207
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          Super Hero
          1,238
        • last active 4 months ago
        A friend of mine is an attorney in employment law.  He tells me that he and his colleagues, in the past couple years, have seen a dramatic influx of cases dealing with employees being laid off shortly after their bosses learn of the employee's medical conditions (i.e. depression, cancer).  These cases are primarily in the private sector.  Some employers don't want to hear about their employees' ailments because that typically means having to accommodate for medical leave, time off, disruption from work, decreased dependability and productivity, etc...Employers want employees that are healthy and happy.  I can understand that.  No employer wants employees that have a gang of problems at home/ in their private life...because everyone knows its impossible to keep your private and work life completely separate. 

        I asked my initial question in this thread because I see the possibility of employers passing up a qualified applicant with known medical conditions because they dont want to have to deal with future problems that may arise from these medical conditions.  I could see this easily happening if there are plenty of applicants for the position.

        Yes, employers should hire based on the applicants' qualifications.  But we all know in reality, this is not the case.

        Thanks guys, for your input.

        Imagine...if all else fails, submit your resume along with your leather thong!  lmao
      • Avatar 7881

        drpsyce38

          Super Hero
        • male
        • offline
        • 42
          thanks given
        • 289
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          Super Hero
          1,492
        • last active about 1 month ago

        Thanks for this post from:

        • Avatar 31153
        This will make me very unpopular, but as a small business owner I would not hire somone who was in a bad state of depression or had major anxiety issues.  If they can demostate successful TREATMENT for these, then I would sure view that as positive and would strongly consider hiring them.  Now, I don't consider a family doctor tossing someone an Rx of Zanex "treatment."

        My point of empathy:  I was depressed years ago, so I understand what it means to be in that situation.  Not fun! 

        Anyway, the reason is:  It can drag down productivity in the business, hence, putting other's well-being in jeopardy. 

        Bottom lie....if you can't make my business money and keep your fellow worker employed, then I DON'T hire you.
      • Avatar 31153

        ishin

          Super Hero
        • male
        • offline
        an apathetic America is a pathetic America
        • 246
          thanks given
        • 207
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          Super Hero
          1,238
        • last active 4 months ago
        drpsyce38 wrote:


        Anyway, the reason is:  It can drag down productivity in the business, hence, putting other's well-being in jeopardy. 

        Bottom lie....if you can't make my business money and keep your fellow worker employed, then I DON'T hire you.


        Yup, thats basically what my concerns were.

        So would you suggest the applicant lie if the topic comes up during the interview?  Come up with some story that helps to take focus off of the applicant's medical history?  What a way to start a potential job,.. with a lie!

        I wonder just how many people lie in their resumes and job interview just to get that slight edge.
      • No avatar normal

        Imagin.ation

          Mighty! Member
        • female
        • offline
        Use Your Imagination
        Crazical Imaginical
        • 1789
          thanks given
        • 1199
          thanks received
        • Replied by
          Mighty! Member
          4,841
        • last active about 1 month ago

        Thanks for this post from:

        • Avatar 31153
        The best way to do it is not disclose the information voluntarily, wait to be asked about it, if asked touch it lightly and don't drag on, make the employer aware with some sort of good point that it won't interfer with your duties. BUT this also depends on how bad the medical reasons are, if they are standingly obvious.

        If you are in an interview and are uncomfortable with your history to begin with then you know the job is not for you. But also you can stand a chance of overcoming, just think about that.

        Another suggestion is try for jobs that are KNOWN to hire people with handicaps and illnesses. (im saying this because i don't how sick the person is)
      • Index

        blueday

          admin
        • online
          • 18127
            thanks given
          • 9796
            thanks received
          • Replied by
            admin
            20,096
          • online

          Thanks for this post from:

          • No avatar small
          Obtaining a job with a lie is the worst start you [general] can have in a new job.  It will be a constant worry that it might "come out".

          Always best to be honest if asked the question.  If an employer bases their decision on previous problems (medical), is it really the kind of place one wants to work?  As Froggy rightly says, "As long as you possess the qualifications to do what I need, I couldn't care less about your personal life".  Fair comment indeed.

          blue
        • Avatar 24791

          toodleedoo

            Sr. Member
          • female
          • offline
          Cancer schmancer
          • 115
            thanks given
          • 117
            thanks received
          • Replied by
            Sr. Member
            450
          • last active 4 months ago

          Thanks for this post from:

          • Avatar 31153
          I'm actually with Drpsyche on this one, I wouldn't hire anyone who openly disclosed that they didn't work for a year because of major depression.  That isn't right of course, but it's the way it is, and if asked why I would just say I received a lot of applicants and it was a hard decision but I went with the most qualified.  I will not disclose my cancer history of the last year to my potential employers.  I have been submitting applications the last week- online but still applying- and there is no way I'm going to voluntarily provide that info and they can't ask me 'were you unemployed because of cancer'

          I like to stick with the basics of how I am qualified and not go to my personal life at all during an interview.  It hasn't failed me yet.  I have 2 little kids, not gonna tell them.  I have been on both sides of the hiring and applying, and I think you are so qualified as is, you don't need to disclose it.
        • Avatar 31153

          ishin

            Super Hero
          • male
          • offline
          an apathetic America is a pathetic America
          • 246
            thanks given
          • 207
            thanks received
          • Replied by
            Super Hero
            1,238
          • last active 4 months ago
          toodleedoo wrote:

          I'm actually with Drpsyche on this one, I wouldn't hire anyone who openly disclosed that they didn't work for a year because of major depression.  That isn't right of course, but it's the way it is, and if asked why I would just say I received a lot of applicants and it was a hard decision but I went with the most qualified.  I will not disclose my cancer history of the last year to my potential employers.  I have been submitting applications the last week- online but still applying- and there is no way I'm going to voluntarily provide that info and they can't ask me 'were you unemployed because of cancer'

          I like to stick with the basics of how I am qualified and not go to my personal life at all during an interview.  It hasn't failed me yet.  I have 2 little kids, not gonna tell them.  I have been on both sides of the hiring and applying, and I think you are so qualified as is, you don't need to disclose it.


          So how would you go about the situation?  You know you've been unemployed for over a year because of your cancer and depression.  At the same time you know you are qualified for the position.  And the interviewer asks, "So what have you been doing for the past year?'  Why haven't you been working?"  Do you come up with a story that skirts around the fact that you've not been working primarily because of your cancer and depression?..basically, lie?
        • Avatar 31153

          ishin

            Super Hero
          • male
          • offline
          an apathetic America is a pathetic America
          • 246
            thanks given
          • 207
            thanks received
          • Replied by
            Super Hero
            1,238
          • last active 4 months ago
          blueday wrote:

          Obtaining a job with a lie is the worst start you [general] can have in a new job.  It will be a constant worry that it might "come out".



          My thoughts exactly!
        • No avatar normal

          Imagin.ation

            Mighty! Member
          • female
          • offline
          Use Your Imagination
          Crazical Imaginical
          • 1789
            thanks given
          • 1199
            thanks received
          • Replied by
            Mighty! Member
            4,841
          • last active about 1 month ago

          Thanks for this post from:

          • Index
          • Avatar 31153
          I totally agree with you Blue.. do not lie, my statement was not meaning to lie. Most applications ask medical questions in lew of being able to handle the job, answer those honestly, and in the interview don' bring them up voluntarily, the employer has read them, wait to be asked more information and they will IF it is bothering them. The employer is interviewing you because he beleives you have the potencial with your experiences, dragging on a medical problem might detur him into thinking you are more into your sicknesses then you would be the job.It is YOU who knows if you can handle the job with your medical history, if you are uncomfortable, if the employer seems concerned with it, then it's not the job for you.

          Gain the confidence, gain the job..
        • Index

          blueday

            admin
          • online
            • 18127
              thanks given
            • 9796
              thanks received
            • Replied by
              admin
              20,096
            • online
            Imagin.ation wrote:

            I totally agree with you Blue.. do not lie, my statement was not meaning to lie. Most applications ask medical questions in lew of being able to handle the job, answer those honestly, and in the interview don' bring them up voluntarily, the employer has read them, wait to be asked more information and they will IF it is bothering them. The employer is interviewing you because he beleives you have the potencial with your experiences, dragging on a medical problem might detur him into thinking you are more into your sicknesses then you would be the job.It is YOU who knows if you can handle the job with your medical history, if you are uncomfortable, if the employer seems concerned with it, then it's not the job for you.

            Gain the confidence, gain the job..


            Succinctly put Imagin.

            blue
          • No avatar normal

            bradwill

              Full Member
            • offline
            • 14
              thanks given
            • 33
              thanks received
            • Replied by
              Full Member
              216
            • last active 4 months ago
            Man, interviews must be a real nightmare to someone with an anxiety order to begin with. Having to account for a lapse in employment would only make it worse.

            I'm with everyone else in that I do not think it would be a good idea to voluntarily offer this kind of information. But, if asked directly about the lapse, I'm not sure what the correct approach would be. Ethically speaking, I suppose the correct approach would probably be if not full disclosure then at least adequate or honest disclosure. Enough honest info to inform and alert the interviewer to the issue at hand. But you are probably aware that such an approach is very likely a direct conflict of interest with getting the job. The person may as well not interview at all if they are prepared to do this under some circumstances. I suppose they would need to have a good feel for the company and especially the interviewer to know if the person seems to have enough empathy and compassion to make this warranted. Otherwise, I would think skirting the issue somehow would be more advisable, depending on how well they are able to account for their time during this lapse if really pressed. It could come back to bite them later on, but as some of the more honest posters have implied, there may not be much choice if they really want or need the job.
          • Avatar 31153

            ishin

              Super Hero
            • male
            • offline
            an apathetic America is a pathetic America
            • 246
              thanks given
            • 207
              thanks received
            • Replied by
              Super Hero
              1,238
            • last active 4 months ago
            bradwill wrote:

            Man, interviews must be a real nightmare to someone with an anxiety order to begin with. Having to account for a lapse in employment would only make it worse.

            I'm with everyone else in that I do not think it would be a good idea to voluntarily offer this kind of information. But, if asked directly about the lapse, I'm not sure what the correct approach would be. Ethically speaking, I suppose the correct approach would probably be if not full disclosure then at least adequate or honest disclosure. Enough honest info to inform and alert the interviewer to the issue at hand. But you are probably aware that such an approach is very likely a direct conflict of interest with getting the job. The person may as well not interview at all if they are prepared to do this under some circumstances. I suppose they would need to have a good feel for the company and especially the interviewer to know if the person seems to have enough empathy and compassion to make this warranted. Otherwise, I would think skirting the issue somehow would be more advisable, depending on how well they are able to account for their time during this lapse if really pressed. It could come back to bite them later on, but as some of the more honest posters have implied, there may not be much choice if they really want or need the job.


            Exactly, you know where I'm coming from.  This is a tough situation.

          lcb activities in the last 24 hours

          • 33
            new members
          • 641
            members online
          • 11860
            guests online
          • 140
            new posts
          • 4247
            free games played
          Join the club

          Most viewed forum posts

          • Putting on lipstick emoticon 1
            Hi LCB'ers,Here is a list of freebies that are not on the weekly code list. This list includes casinos to check your acct, call/email for free chip and casinos not listed here at our forum.  I will update this list on...
            More Free Chips
          • 200 zpsnwkvewod
            Hello dear LCBers,LimoPlay Casino has something special in stored for you!!Each week Vitali, the lovely casino representative from LimoPlay will be posting a new contest. Please subscribe to this thread by clicking on...
            Win free spins and more every week with LimoPlay
          • Putting on lipstick emoticon 1
            LCB $250 August Contest – Lets Play Roulette     Hi LCB'ers because of the launch of the new site design i had to temporarily close this contest. Lets start fresh - for any member that may have already enterted a...
            CLOSED - LCB $250 August Contest – Lets Play Roulette

          Join today and start earning rewards

          You will immediately get full access to our online casino forum/chat plus receive our newsletter with news & exclusive bonuses every month.
          S logo
          Select Language
          Search
          Search Results

          Report to moderator

          Use this function to inform the moderators and administrator of an abusive or wrongly posted message.

          Please note that your email address will be revealed to the moderators if you use this

          Submit
          39012170