Is one child policy a good solution?
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active about 1 month ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- Last night I was watching a documentary on the one child policy in China and it made me so emotional and cry really bad.
It's too hard to imagine if I was born but abandoned because I was a girl or a mother who has to give up on own children.
What if you are living in a place where there's a policy which allows you to have only one child and if you do have more, you are forced to pay the fine that you can't afford...
And what happens when the cultural preference is for male children?
Could we just simply say it is a discrimination against women only?
Is it really a good solution to control large population? Instead why not focusing on better education and health care?
I am pretty sure there's more to it than what I see and think.and I am not trying to judge or disrespect other cultures...but wondering what others think.
What do you think?
- This is wrong on two large levels.
First, this is a disaster for China. Now, there are now many, many marriage-age males who have no females. Marriage has always been a "stablizing" force in society. Take a look at the problems the Chinese are now having with un-stable young males.
Second, there is a silent "genocide" against women world-wide. It is easy to calculate there are 300 million missing females in the world population. Meaning, 300 million women are NOT here that should be.
- I don't think I would want to be dictated to as to how many children I can or cannot have but that said, in Africa where aids is rife and children are starving and dying, it just makes me wonder whether it could be a good thing in the right country.
As you can tell, I'm really on the fence here.
- So true,Doc. that's why I wondered if it was just a discrimination against women only...
There are proximately 39 million more men then women and there is a high rising crime rates as abduction,rape,sex preference abortion and buy and selling..
Blue I too wonder if it could be a good solution for maybe some countries hoping to bring a success in terms of controlling fertility but I think it has to be a country where there is no such a strong cultural preference for boys because of a serious imbalance between the number of girls and boys. 8'|
- lua wrote:
I saw a documentary a while ago about the ratio between males and females in India. If this kind of policies continue working and having one son is preferred over a daughter, they are going to have huge problems in the long run.
So true. I definitely don't agree with the cultural preferences for male children.
- I don't think that the one-child policy really helps China to deal with overpopulation. It's just a needless and quite serious infringement of human rights, a family should have the right to decide how many children it wants. Let's be honest, overpopulation will always be a problem in China and that's probably why there will always be countless Chinese immigrants all over the world.
- my nieces mom has about 21 kids now and is pregnant again if it wasnt for me the state would have gotten my niece when they got her other kids but i raised her and she finished school went to college and now is working a great job.I feel in some cases maybe the state should step in and say enough is enough but i dont agree with the one child rule
I just couldn't see those type of restrictions placed on a human being. I know at times that we all get frustrated when we see parents who can not provide for having so many children.
- Replied by
- at July 11, 2011, 20:47:37
But in the end they always seem to manage. When we here stories about parents who have lots of children we embrace it. Like my first reaction to Rena with the 21 children within her family.
I have known more then one person who comes from a large family and it is amazing what character they have and how they all are close for the most part in their own way.
Nothing can replace the trust and love a family can provide. To me it's one of the greatest gifts in life.
I know we have a serious problem with world population but maybe a better way is to educate children in school at a early age to practice a bit more discretion and weigh in all the factors before having too many children.
- To answer your question. NO NO NO!
I saw a documentary years ago about the one child policy in China. There was a photo that will haunt me forever. The picture was of a baby girl, dressed all in pink, DEAD, with a bottle about 2 feet from her.
About those poverty stricken in Africa who keep having kids they can't under any circumstances feed.... what else do they have to do with their time but have sex? I think that leads to much of the over population. If I was starving and batting flies and mosquitoes, that would be the LAST thing on my mind, buth that's just me.
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played
Most viewed forum posts
- Hi LCB'ers,Here is a list of freebies that are not on the weekly code list. This list includes casinos to check your acct, call/email for free chip and casinos not listed here at our forum. I will update this list on...
- Hello dear LCBers,LimoPlay Casino has something special in stored for you!!Each week Vitali, the lovely casino representative from LimoPlay will be posting a new contest. Please subscribe to this thread by clicking on...