I had to think long and hard before posting this thread. It stirs alot of emotions...at least for me i know it does.
Since 911....many people from other countries as well as those from the US feel that we got what was coming to us. Feeling that the US is just a bully and pushes around other countries with our Super Power.
It really angers me to hear this....and i get VERY defensive. No one deserves what we endured nor is it to be ever forgotten.
But i spoke to a friend one day....from another country on this very issue. His response..."how about the blood shed in our country by US bombing"? I was told that the US gets involved where they have no business to get involved.
Needless to say the conversation got VERY heated. But in the end there was a greater understanding on both parts. It really isn't my fault for what happens nor is it his...it's government that makes these decisions.
Do you feel the US is a bully?
Is the U.S. Just a Bully?
Readers of this topic also read:
- Boy you are on fire today Lips!!
At times, yes we are "Perceived" as a bully..By countries who don't want us to go against what THEY want which is domination of their country by all manner of force and then they start threatening other countries friendly to us.
We have been looked at as "Tyrants" though those who accused us of this, are the same ones we have chased, captured and killed who killed more of their countrymen then we have or could.
Sure we have and will make "Mistakes" but how can you avoid killing people when the enemy hides among the "Innocents"? this is a common battle tactic of those in "Other" countries to show the world "Look what they did to the poor kids!"
Then while the worlds attention is turned to the pictures of dead children, the "Insurgents" are sneaking out their weapons from the location, or hiding the evidence.
The real problem in some countries, is they have no stable government. Somalia is a very good example. They have "Factions" and the most ruthless, is the one who "Leads" the rest, but infighting still occurs.
I believe, had the leader of the largest faction there come to the US and said "Help me form a Government so to get this country moving up" we'd still be there, helping them make a new nation..
But that guy only wanted power and wanted us to kill off the other factions. We refused and he went after us. So, we left..Now the people suffer even more.
So, are we really a bully? I don't really think so, but I do believe we're more then willing to help a country dig itself out of a mess and help build it back and support it as long as it treats its citizens as such and not like a herd of cattle.
- I don't think we are bullies, but I do think we should worry about what's going on inside our own country more than other countries. Maybe get internet gambling legalized for good!
The only other country Ive been is Canada so I cant say from experience how it is to be in other countries across seas.
Would you rather be from the country doing the bombing? Or the country getting bombed? I know what my answer is..
- I don't think we are bullies but I do feel like we need to take care of our own people and stop trying to solve problems around the world. I think the attention would be better served here and the money we use abroad could be better spent here on our own citizens. No One deserved what happened to us on 9/11. The people who committed these crimes against innocent people just because they hate the US are evil in my opinion and should receive just punishment.
- lipstick_xoxos wrote:
Bravo....nicely written. But let me play devils advocate for a moment. What about the countries that claim they never wanted our help? Is it right to intervene anyway?
OK, I'll bite. Which ones are you speaking about?
- I thought a bully took you lunch money, not gave away theirs. That's right the US shells out billions$$ every year to many many countries...I know, I know some might think that We(the US) do it for glory or power or to show strength. Well I want my country to show strength but I also want it to show compasion, not sympathy...getting off the subject(sorry)point is if we are thought to be A 'Bully' because we have a lil more than some(our economy suffers financialy too)to help out then ya know, I guess we would be a bully. A country comes to the US for financial help but when it comes to 'blood shed' that same country expects the US to do what?
- I'm playing devils advocate here....what do we say to countries like Iraq and Afghanistan? Or Korea and the Vietman war. Many view us as nothing more than a bully.
How do we explain our actions? How do we explain to other countries our position for stepping in without being classified as a bully?
I would defend to the end...and makes me sad to think other countries think of us as bully. How do we defend our honor when being labeled the "Bully"?
- drpsyce38 wrote:
Well.....South Korea sure doesn't think of us as a bully. Iraq **may** but Qatar sure doesn't. Afghanistan, might by some, but not Kuwait. Yeah, with many we aren't too popular. But, others certainly have benefited from the USA big time.
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played