Roasting an employee.....how far should you go?
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Readers of this topic also read:
- Hiya LCB'ers
I was playing catch up with some old friends when a discussion came up that made me think........
At a friends work there was a retirement party for one of the employees. When someone retires coworkers and supervisors do a roast on the employee. This particular employee was known to douse himself in cologne. It was so strong that it would linger in the room long after he left.
On the day of his retirement party, a supervisor cracked a joke about it. This is what she said......"thanks for saving the company fuel on our cars. We saved an astronomical amount of money fueling cars from the fumes of your cologne"
Apparently the retired man was embarrassed by the comment and there was mixed opinions whether or not that was going too far. Some felt the roasting should be kept mainly about work and not personal. While others laughed in good fun.
Do you think this supervisor crossed the line with this comment?
- Replied by
- at February 28, 2010, 09:20:51
- last active 24 days ago
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Yes, very bad. If it's "Slightly" embaressing, that's different. But this amounted to shame and that's something that this person will remember for a very long time.
- Replied by
- at February 28, 2010, 17:10:47
- last active about 1 month ago
Would have done alot better to approach it long ago. I view this as kind of "Gutless" knowing this person probably won't retailiate as they're leaving and so, get in your last "Cheap Shot" as you can.
- Here Here to that!! I think most good jokes made involving real people more likley than not are embarissing in some way. Just think of the last time you or a friend said "don't make me bring that one thing up" when you made a joke about them.
That said discretiion should be shown in the workplace, maybe the cologne was to mask obnotious B.O. but if they were retiring I think they would rather hear about the cologne than a joke involving their work performance. Rember personal jokes are only made by people that consider you a friend or complete asses...
- I have never been one to intentionally say something to hurt someones feelings......but i do have a sense of humor. I don't really see any harm in what she said to him. I think it was all in good fun.
The problem is we don't know the sensitive "triggers" to people. In situations like this i think the person has to realize that it was poking fun. It was not meant to insult him or laugh at him, rather to laugh with him.
- That is why I take the stance that I hate everyone that is not me equally, I make fun of everyone. If I didn't then there would be a problem. People forgot that the people that are "hate mongers" historicaly have done it behind closed doors or while hiding behind something. The real racists and other people with similar problems with stupidity don't usualy advertize it
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played