This probably doesnt belong here but it makes me feel good
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active about 1 month ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- SlotoCash and Uptown Aces Exclusive Holiday Freeroll Tournament this December only for...READ
- I couldnt find a decent bonus for the casino software I wanted to play because a new slot game is out. I took the money I was going to spend at a casino and instead I bought for an online friend's 11 year old kid whose father doesnt give a sh*t about his own son since the divorce, something new for his play station 3 guitar hero he got for xmas from his grandparents. The feeling I have now far exceeds any feeling Ive had playing and doing a withdrawal from an online casino. The gift should arrive from Amazon next Tuesday and I cant wait until he gets home and sees it.
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotations...
"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us."
If I loved you before I love you more now...
I truly believe that one of the most wonderful things in the world is a giving...
not only because of making someone happy but it can also fulfill our living.
I know your focus was on how happy it will make this kid feel.
I also know you knew that he won't be able to return the same but I think that If you expected something in return, your giving would not mean as much to that person nor would it mean as much to you.
What you did was the true spirit of giving.
When you give a gift to someone, or do something nice for a person, you know how much better it is if you do not think about getting something in return.
I am so glad to know someone like you,Gunny!
- Thank you everyone. I really wasnt expecting any replies and I have no idea why I wrote it in the forum. I got tired of online casinos not paying me and I searched for something else to amuse me online when I was bored. For some stupid reason I paid to join an online auction site. I saw many things I wanted to bid on but when I saw play station 3 software games I couldnt get this 11 year old off my mind. There is something fishy about the auctions. I said screw bidding on auctions. I called my friend and had her put her son on the phone and ran the available games past him. He picked two. I told him i would try and win one in an auction. What I really did was bid to buy. I got a discount and bought one of the games and I am having it shipped to him. He knows about this but has no idea what I bought him last nite. I am going back to play texas holdem at nlop.com., a legal USA site. I have decided all my cash winnings are going to this child. If his mom needs clothes for him I will get gift certificates and send them to him. If that is taken care of I will buy him more play stastion 3 games. His father physically abused his mother and was never a father figure to him. I want this child to realize not all men are bad. I might get more joy out of this than this 11 year old.
- Joseph Kennedy.......so, to paraphrase the Sermon on the Mount - "When you give don't let your right hand know know what the left is doing. When you give, give in secret, and God, who sees in secret, will bless you."
Gunnylab has done a wonderful, wonderful big hearted thing. Truly it tugs at the heart strings.
My question is always, do token good deeds do any good? Short term warmth, yes. But, having been involved in charity work with the poor for many years, I have to honestly say it does little or no good. Often there is harm in this type of giving. (Believe it or not.)
The main thing this kid needs are parents who have their act together. But, the toy was nice.....good job.
Ok Doc, it appears you and your coffee pot are back in working order. Mr Kennedy, I see why you may think, gunny is pattin himself on the back, and your entitled to your opinion, but he's NOT!!
- Replied by
- at February 11, 2011, 03:08:29
- last active 4 months ago
He's describeing a positive experience, and didn't realize he'd get the feed-back it did. At the end of his experience he's attempting to teach the child something positive, ( as in all men are not butt heads). To finish, gunny states ( in blue collar lingo), that he's gonna get a bigger nut out of the experience, than the child! Simply put, It's a win win situation, for both. Excellent job Gunny!!
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Well, referring to Docs message. It is true that one person pointed out (Sometime ago) that we share more during the holidays (Christmas/Thanksgiving) and we really should be (If we can afford it) giving year round.
- Replied by
- at February 11, 2011, 04:41:57
- last active about 1 month ago
Sadly, there will always be people taking advantage of charity. Always wanting more, taking the best and ignoring the cries of others. I choose to donate to soup kitchems and shelters. That way, I'm failrly sure that someone is benefitting fm the gift and not many can abuse it.
Oh and Gunny, that was a decent thing to do. Sad isin't it when parents get so wrought up over a divorce, the kids suffer worst.
- anyone wishing to be or have a hero, there are many small requests and some big ones at a site called wishuponahero. I was able to send some cards to some kids, and some stickers. And I had a couple of heroes send my grandsons some video games that their children had outgrown. It's a nice site. But, I also got an evil hero offering to help me out financially but actually trying to scam me with bogus money orders. So, yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Problem is there are hundreds of them, and not all of them are jolly and nice.
You can find used video games for very reasonable prices at your local goodwill or other thrift stores. Kids love video games. Parents do, too. Anytime of year.
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played