A US man has been awarded $7.2m in damages after claiming he developed "popcorn lung" from inhaling the artificial butter in microwave popcorn.
Wayne Watson claimed that a popcorn manufacturer should have had warning labels that the bag's fumes were dangerous to inhale and the judge agreed with him.
The man developed respiratory problems in 2007, after regularly eating popcorn. Defence lawyers argued that Mr Watson's problems stemmed from years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.
"Popcorn lung" is a form of irreversible obstructive lung disease that scars the lung and makes it difficult for air to flow out.
The verdict is the latest in a series of successful cases, including by popcorn plant workers who became ill. The cases link diacetyl, an ingredient in the flavouring, to health problems.
Jurors found Gilster-Mary Lee Corp, a private-labelling manufacturer of popcorn, liable for 80% of the damages. Supermarket company Kroger Co was held liable for the other 20%.
Well, I'm quite a popcorn fan, I can't really watch a movie without it. Maybe I'll become very rich I'm still breathing just fine at the moment though.
US Man gets $7.2m over popcorn
Readers of this topic also read:
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played
Join today and start earning rewards
You will immediately get full access to our online casino forum/chat plus receive our newsletter with news & exclusive bonuses every month.