Word Formality Differences
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
- Started by
- last active about 1 month ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- SpinsVilla Casino are offering 50% cashback on all your deposits between 6th December and 31st...READ
- Growing up in Cali, living in Vegas..
My first job i trained as a waitress, lots of things were taught, one of them
being "would you like something to drink?" then naming off what we served
and it was in variations like that in different restaurants i worked.
We were not allowed to use the word "soda" or "Pop" that rule was here in vegas
as well as cali.
While in Minnesota, i went to a somewhat expensive restaurant..first time out.
The server came up and asked, "would you like pop while you are deciding?"
My head turned like he cussed at me.. and i thought to myself.. did he say "pop?"
I couldn't beleive it, i said "excuse me, i didn"t hear you" and again he asked..
I was shocked but smiled and said.. "Yes i'd love some Pop!".
To my surprise in Minnesota the word "Pop" is used for the word soda..
and as i lived there everyone said pop for something to drink..
I had to get the hang of that! Also when the word is said theres a slight accent
like.. "paap". I absolutely loved it and pick up on the word quickly til i returned
back to Vegas!
I was wondering if anywhere else theres differences in simple formal words spoke
and used and if so name them!
- I learned a few new words... like Knickers, Bloomers, Hickey, and Golashes
Knickers are pants, but here they are old time underware.
Bloomers are big giant under garments, but here i've always thought it meant "to become"
Hickey is love bites but also means a big knot on the head.
Golashes are rubbers for the feet... erm...
Whitey Tighties are mens underware.
Tatas aren't potatoes but the evolved spanish word for boobs...
Anyone else got some?
- How about the word "keester" (don't know if i spelled it right)... where did that come from... without seeing the word and hearing someone say it, sounds as though it would have something to do with a locksmith... how it became a word for your "butt" is beyond me...
"Becareful and watch your step you might slip and fall on your keester"... theres not a locksmith in sight of me... huh!!!!
- I live in Oklahoma for regional comparision. My grandma never said couch or sofa, it was the devan. we usually say pop or coke. Breeches (pronounced britches) for pants. Ya'll for you all or just you. Fixin as in getting ready to do something ie, I am fixin to go to the store for some coke for ya'll.
- wmmeden wrote:
I live in Oklahoma for regional comparision. My grandma never said couch or sofa, it was the devan. we usually say pop or coke. Breeches (pronounced britches) for pants. Ya'll for you all or just you. Fixin as in getting ready to do something ie, I am fixin to go to the store for some coke for ya'll.
LOL those are GREAT!!!!
- Imagin.ation wrote:
A milky way is handlin' ya bidness prematurely... i'm just kidding lmaaaoo but i couldn't resist!
I'm lost for words.
- Imagin.ation wrote:
Blue, what is a Bloke, never heard that term before, does it mean the same for what we call a hottie or hunk?
A bloke is slang term for a man. I thought that was a well known term. I just had a look and its generally used in "...the British Isles, Australia and New Zealand."
"He's a really nice bloke" or "what a lovely bloke he is" (generally said with a plum in the mouth for a better emphasis on the word).
- I am from San Diego, Cali.. I used to know a girl from georga(the state) that would allways say "I'm Fixin" Allways loved that one. Our terms are pretty much.. well kinda ebonics based. like your pad is your house.. or surfer talk like if your are catching the early bird that means you are going surfing at dawn. I don't think I would ever get used to cigarrettes being called fags like they are some places though.
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played
Most viewed forum posts
- Hi LCB'ers,Here is a list of freebies that are not on the weekly code list. This list includes casinos to check your acct, call/email for free chip and casinos not listed here at our forum. I will update this list on...
- Hello dear LCBers,LimoPlay Casino has something special in stored for you!!Each week Vitali, the lovely casino representative from LimoPlay will be posting a new contest. Please subscribe to this thread by clicking on...