Would you let your school age child watch the Obama Speach???
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Last post ago over 7 years by
- Started by
- last active 4 months ago
Readers of this topic also read:
- Perhaps you can tell from current events there is a controversy (HOW controversial will depend on your point of view) about President Obama giving a video speach to all K-6 grade next week. (All schools will have begun by then.) In my area, at least, this is a hot topic. My kids' school district will not show the video at all. In other surrounding areas there are various degrees of show and NOT show.
Basically, the video is supposed to be the President giving greetings to the kids, telling them it is important to stay in school. After the video the kids are supposed to write a paper of how they can "help" the President. I think this is the controversial part.
Anyhow...if you have kids....OR if you had them. What would you do/think?
- I wouldn't mind my daughter watching the speech, although I think Obama is doing a terrible job at being president.....[He has the highest disapproval rate there has ever been and he accumulated that title in the shortest amount of time] but I do not want her to write a paper on how she can help him....isn't it his job to help us?? What kind of president would need a childs input to help him do his job??????
- Hi Doc,
Something does not sound right......is there something missing to the story? Write a letter......there has to be a motive for it. Is it a contest......does a child or class get to visit the white house.......is a jr. president gonna be selected?????
I don't think it's a bad idea for our President to give a speech to the class. In an era of complete upheaval maybe it brings inspiration for kids. As far as the prez being a disappointment.......he was left with a mess and a half.......he's not a miracle man....hope floats doesn't it?
- medtrans wrote:
I am biting the keys on my keyboard.
I do that a lot Medtrans, but only hold back have as much as I like..
Go for it, that's what we are here for...and Lips love controversy anyway!
This is the best medium to express yourself without really hurting anyone.
I DONT THINK THAT THE YOUNGER CHILDREN WOULDNT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SPEECH, BUT GRADES 4-6, I DONT SEE A PROBLEM. REALLY I DONT SEE A PROBLEM AT ALL. YOU EXPECT PRESIDENT OBAMA TO WORK MIRACLES IN HIS FIRST MONTHS? HE HAS SO MUCH OPPOSITION. PEOPLE HATE THE FACT THAT A BLACK PRESIDENT IS IN THE "WHITE" HOUSE. I JUST CALL IT AS I SEE IT. HE IS DOING A GREAT JOB WITH WHAT HE HAS TO DEAL WITH AND ALL THE OPPOSITION. UNITED STATES NEED TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT HE IS THERE FOR 4 YEARS, AND TRY TO WORK TOGETHER IN HARMONY. IT WOULD BE NICE IF PEOPLE WERE COLOR BLIND BUT THEY ARENT. THE FACT IS, THE CHICKENS HAVE COME HOME TOO ROOST! THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA FOR STAYING STRONG IN THE "WHITE HOUSE" WITH ALL THE RACISM THAT IS SO OBVIOUS. LETS WORK TOGETHER IN HARMONY!
- Replied by
- at September 04, 2009, 14:06:10
- Funny isn't it? Some one says "I don't think "President Obama is doing a good job" and someone screams RACISM!!!
What ever happened to free speech?
In regards to the speech. I think if he kept it to "Stay in school, get an education and live better" it could be inspirational. I have heard though, leaks of the "Speech" is he wants the kids to come home and pester the parents to support the health care or flu shots or whatever some "Fringe" people are claiming.
I might be curious in regards to the speech myself. Not that I support "Mr. Obama" (If he'd show the long form, this would change my reference to him) but I'm not about to start calling him a failure just yet. I'll give it four years
YES FREE SPEECH, THAT IS WHAT I SPOKE, MY RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT AND ISNT FUNNY WHEN YOU BRING UP RACISM PEOPLE ALWAYS THINK THAT IS A COP OUT, IT IS WHAT IT IS, THIS MAN IS HATED MORE ANY PRESIDENT AND RECEIVES MORE THREATS. HE IS ADDRESSED SO MUCH AS MR OBAMA WHEN HE IS THE PRESIDENT. RACISM IS ALIVE AND KICKING, SOME PEOPLE WANT TO CLOSE THE DOOR AND SAY IT DOESNT EXIST, IT DOES, RIGHT HERE IN THE GOOD OLE U.S.A. TEXAS IS READY TO SUCCEED FROM THE UNION, NOW HOW ABOUT THAT. WELL HE IS HERE TO STAY AND WE AS AMERICANS SHOULD TRY TO WORK TOGETHER AND TALK ABOUT IT, AND ADDRESS THE ISSUES THAT ARE AFFECTED AMERICA. WE CANT GET NOTHING DONE WITHOUT ALL THIS NEGATIVE ENERGY BEING SENT OUT THERE. YES I AM BLACK AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT AND PROUD THAT WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT IN THE WHITE HOUSE. AFTER ALL, WE HELP BUILD, DESIGNED IT AND NOW WE HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO IS BLACK THAT IS RESIDING IN IT.
- Replied by
- at September 04, 2009, 15:22:58
- Yes, Genenco....have no clue where the racism came from, guess some people like to use that card whenever they get the chance.....my opinion on the president has nothing to do with his color, and i'm well aware of the fact that he was left with an unpleasant situation, but he has done nothing to help inprove it, alot of talk and no action......but in this time of recession, he does manage to go on lavash vacations, and dress himself, his wife and kids in the most expensive designer clothes, even if the clothes are sent as freebies, hey why not sell them and donate the proceeds to a charitable cause??? When people are struggling to keep their homes, and find jobs and can't get health insurance the last thing we want or need to see is our president decked out in prada while his children run around in $3000.00 coats relaxing on the beaches of Barbados, the Hawaii or wherever it is he's vacationing!!!
- To all of us,
Wow......there is really no more an emotional topic than racism. There is always going to be hate. It is never going to end. I think we all know this. It's in every sector.....every walk of life.
I really hoped that when President Obama got in office it would help change the way people view racism. When our president came into office i don't think there was any president in our history of the US that brought out more emotions of the American people. And they were GOOD emotions.........i felt a harmony of all people regardless of race....creed or color......and the votes PROVED it.
Its the same feeling i got on the tragic day of 911.......we weren't any thing else but Americans. The outpour of love and sorrow brought us together if just for a moment in time as one people and there was unity ....and what a beautiful moment that was in a time of devastation.
Let us not ever forget that we are ALL one.......we are all AMERICANS!!! Casting our vote on that historical day brought a man of color into POWER and we basked in the glory.
Throw out the RACE card.......its ugly......it holds grudges and it creates hate and divides us. Does it exist....hell yes it exists......but remember one thing........
It's a time for change!!!!!!!! I think that change includes throwing away the race card. As for President Obama getting more death threats than any other president.....the people who wage this war are.....uneducated......low class....and uncivilized.
As for the rest of us....we have welcomed President Obama with open arms. He walked into a lions den. The change can NOT happen over night.....give him a chance to prove there is a change......and let us move forward with that change.
For those that are not happy with the way our country is going so far......i wouldn't call it racism.....i would call it a political view point.
lcb activities in the last 24 hours
Join the club
- new members
- members online
- guests online
- new posts
- free games played